Stranded In The Southland

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

San Francisco versus Los Angeles

Okay, so I spent a few days up in San Francisco with my sweetie, as a mini-vacation. We'd been planning this for some time, but our plans were somewhat disrupted by the last minute trip to DC to help out with my new nephew. Anyway, despite my cold, lack of sleep, and just all around tiredness, I had a great time. I really miss San Francisco.

First of all, the people are so much weirder, while seeming so much chiller about my weirdness. I mean, as usual, I feel like I'm not nearly weird enough for anybody in San Francisco. I know I'm far, far too geeky for Los Angeles.

Just being in a city is so wonderful. There's so much going on, and there are so many interesting people all around. There are so many weird and wonderful shops to check out, so many used book stores, so many funky strange things to see!

I know that there has got to be similar stuff in LA, but I just haven't found it yet. I guess I need to look harder. I just miss living in San Francisco so much.

LA people (well, Inland Empire people) are friendly, and more polite, but they somehow feel more removed. I don't have really close connections with people down here the way I did up in Silicon Valley, but maybe I need to give 'em time. The real problem is that I just can't take the sprawl. Cities just go on forever and ever and ever. Driving sucks. OTOH, I do love the mountains.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home