Stranded In The Southland

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

A Week in DC With A New Baby

I spent the last week in LA with my sister's new baby, my first nephew (in fact, the first of the next generation). Pwhew! When I first showed up, I just saw him as yet another baby. He's a pleasant baby, easy to care for, but I still just felt a little detached. By the time I left, I was cooing away with the best of 'em.

I was surprised at how easy it was to deal with diapers and all the rest -- these modern disposables are mind-bogglingly cheap, and covered in velcro so they are stunningly easy to use. I changed a fair number of the diapers, and it just wasn't a problem. Of course, new-borns are supposed to produce crap that is very easy to deal with; apparently it'll get tougher as time goes on.

I stayed up late just one night with the new baby, and mostly just helped during the days, driving around my sister, shopping, calming the baby down, and all that. I know I skipped out on the really hard part -- I can't imagine getting up every two hours to feed the baby. Yeesh.

Other than getting a cold and giving it to the baby, it was all fun. I was glad to leave after a week, but I enjoyed it while I was there. I don't want a baby of my own, but I'm perfectly happy for other folks to crank 'em out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home