Stranded In The Southland

Friday, May 20, 2005

Fashion Faux Pas

Woo hoo -- I've started in on my summer traveling. M. and I are going to spend a month in Spain, but we stopped off first for a couple days in the UK.

On the plane over, I watched a brief news clip about "Yob culture" which was somehow tied in with hoodies (you know, hooded sweatshirts?). Once I got over there, the op-ed pages were full of fulminating about the evils of the hoodie!

Yow, I wear a hoodie almost every day. Just about every guy in SF, where I used to live, wore one. I love my hoodie.

M. and I spent the day walking through London, where I felt like a complete twit wearing the hoodie. Sure, anybody can see that I'm a middle-aged, balding, bearded compu-geek, and not a dangerous gangster kid, but it still felt strange.

Of course, to be honest, I saw a few other hoodies out there, but I'd always lean over to M. and whisper, "Look, another fellow thug!" It really kinda sucked. Why on earth would my favorite slacker-wear become such a marker for criminality!?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home