Stranded In The Southland

Sunday, May 15, 2005

Climbing with the Dirty Rocksuckers

I just got back from a weekend in Joshua Tree, working on my rock climbing, and hanging out with the Dirty Rocksuckers, a climbing club. I'm still not very good, and, once again, I managed to scrape up my legs pretty well. Still, it was fun, and I got some more experience.

It was so hot that we really didn't get as much climbing as I would've hoped. There were six top ropes slung, but we were all so ennervated by the heat that we didn't climb much past 11AM or so. I totally blew myself out, so that when I tried some more climbs later in the day, I couldn't make it up the onces I'd shinnied right up earlier in the day.

I was sufficiently exhausted from getting packed and then getting up at 5AM that I wasn't very good company and headed straight to my tent after dinner and a couple beers.

The DR (like the Sierra Club) always put on a "happy hour" at dinner time, in which everybody contributes something to the general feasting. I'd brought some homemade (mediocre) chocolate chip cookies; other folks just grabbed something from Trader Joes -- mmmm, hummus -- while some folks set up elaborate portable stoves and made fancy marinated Korean-style ribs. Yow. I didn't need to cook that night!

In the morning, I did a couple more climbs, but I was anxious to get back, as we head to Spain tomorrow, and I needed at least a little decompression time before getting on the plane. Pwhew.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home