Stranded In The Southland

Friday, December 10, 2004

My Trashy Taste in Movies

I suppose my decision to try to review/blog everything should include even my embarassingly bad taste in trash movies. I'd picked up "13 Days" from the library the other day, and when I returned it, I picked up "Miss Congeniality", a frothy Sandra Bullock vehicle, and "Insomnia", a mystery with Al Pacino. Guess which one of 'em I decided to check out first?

"Miss Congeniality" was full of embarassing moments and silliness, and came to an end with the characters having grown and changed and become better people. Total fluff, and yet it scratched an itch. This is the kind of flick that you watch once and never really think about again. Still, it had some decent acting, and even the ridiculous William Shatner was kind of fun.

I followed this festival of froth up with the television movie, "The Librarian: Search for the Spear". Yow, you can't stoop much lower than this. My SO picked this flick up from the TiVo-selected list of movies because we both kind of have the hearts of librarians, and because she thinks that Noah Wyle is kinda easy on the eyes.

It turned out to be so awful that she couldn't stand more than about 15 minutes of it. I found it kinda tough myself, but I was determined to finish it off. It ripped off Indiana Jones and a million other movies shamelessly, didn't bother with reason or thought, and yet, as the IMDB review points out, who can resist Bob Newhart with a Marine Corp tattoo, doing martial arts. Plus there's some pretty good chick fu. Okay, I admit it, this one shouldn't have even gone straight to video. It was pretty sad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home